Frequently Asked Questions
Godfrey Daniels is located at
7 E. FOURTH STREET, BETHLEHEM, PA 18015
• PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE ADVANCE/SALE PRICES FOR TICKETS WILL RISE TO THE ‘DAY OF SHOW’ PRICES ON THE MORNING OF EACH INDIVIDUAL SHOW DATE. WE RECOMMEND GRABBING YOUR TICKETS EARLY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE ADVANCE SALE PRICE!
• PARKING: There is metered street parking around the listening club. The meters go until 9pm, Monday through Saturday. Sundays are free. They accept coins, credit cards, or the ParkMobile App at a rate of $1.50 per hour • There is also the New Street Parking Garage right around the corner from us, located at 324 S New St, Bethlehem, PA 18015 at a rate of $1 per hour.
• TICKETS: We won’t print your tickets, and it’s not necessary for you to bring a printout of your purchase, though it’s sometimes helpful to have your confirmation email handy on your phone. Approximately two hours before every show, we create a reservation list of all advance sales and will check you in at the door. If you purchase tickets within two hours before the start of a show, please have your confirmation email handy as this will speed up checking you in.
• GODFREY DANIELS WOODEN NICKELS: When you purchase a ticket and check in at the host stand, you will be handed a Godfrey Daniels Wooden Nickel, worth 50 cents at the Snack Bar! They don’t expire and can be combined and collected to be used at any future shows. We’ve had folks bring them back to us from all the years that Godfrey’s has been open!
• I’M RUNNING LATE! : We hold seats until 15 minutes after showtime and then release them for sale to others. If you know you’re going to be late, please notify us before showtime firstname.lastname@example.org with the artist name in the subject line.
• DOORS | SEATING: Doors open a half-hour before each show. All advanced seat purchases are assigned a reserved seat. As our volunteers set up and organize the room slightly differently before each show, we create a map of the reserved seats for where your assigned seat will be. If you would like to sit with another party, and didn’t make a note of it when purchasing your tickets, please email email@example.com at least four hours before showtime and we will do our best.
• SNACK BAR: We accept cash (and your Godfrey’s Wooden Nickels!) for the snack bar, or if the purchase is greater than $10, a credit or debit card if needed. There is an ATM across the street from us in Molly’s Irish Bar & Sports Pub. We have fresh-baked cookies, and snacks, from Zekcraft. Also coffee, teas, a variety of canned sodas, and filtered water. We encourage you to bring your own water vessel for filtered water refills.
• We are BYOB! Wine or Beer is welcome in the club. Bring from home, or shop the Wine & Spirits store at the corner from us, or the six-pack carry-out across the street in Molly’s. We can provide openers and cups if needed at the Snack Bar.
• RESTAURANTS IN THE AREA: There are several good restaurants in the neighborhood. We can provide a list upon request to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word “Restaurants” in the subject line.
• CAN I | OR SHOULD I BRING ALONG THE UNDERAGED PEOPLE? Though Godfrey Daniels is an all-ages, family-friendly venue, we realize that some content is not always considered suitable by every individual who attends our concerts. Therefore, we ask that you visit the artists’ websites and YouTube videos, to determine for yourself which ones you would be comfortable attending.
• HOW DOES SOMEONE GET TO PLAY AT GODFREY DANIELS? : Artists interested in performing at Godfrey Daniels can submit their music for consideration to the Artistic Committee, or you can submit a request for a specific artist to play at Godfrey Daniels. All new artists are reviewed and chosen by the committee. You can email your requests to email@example.com or send press kits to our physical address. It’s also recommended to attend one of our Open Mike shows which provides a good representation of your live performance.
Cool-to-Know Things about Godfrey Daniels
• SO, WHAT IS A ‘MUSIC LISTENING ROOM’?
A music listening room is a dedicated space or venue designed specifically to create an intimate and focused atmosphere for live music performances. It provides a setting where the primary focus is on the music and the experience of actively listening to it. Unlike traditional concert venues or bars, music listening rooms prioritize respectful attention from the audience, creating an environment where the music takes center stage and performers can connect with their listeners on a deeper level. The seating arrangement, acoustics, and overall ambiance of a music-listening room are carefully designed to enhance the listening experience, allowing for a more intimate and immersive encounter between the audience and the artists.
• WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF THE PHRASE ‘GODFREY DANIELS‘?
The phrase ‘Godfrey Daniels’ originated in England in the 19th century and gained more recognition through its usage in the films of W.C. Fields in the 1930s. It serves as a minced oath and euphemism for ‘God damn them’.
• WHEN DID GODFREY DANIELS OPEN AS A VENUE?
Godfrey Daniels opened its doors as a venue on March 19, 1976, right here in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. We started our journey in a former doughnut shop located at 7 E. 4th Street on Bethlehem’s South Side.
• WHO WERE THE CO-FOUNDERS OF GODFREY DANIELS?
The co-founders of Godfrey Daniels were Dave Fry, a local musician who had recently graduated from nearby Lehigh University, and Cindy Dinsmore, whose father was a teacher at Lehigh. Dave Fry took on the role of our first artistic director, handling artist bookings, while Cindy Dinsmore managed the house and delighted everyone with her delicious homemade foods at the front counter.
• WHAT KIND OF EVENTS DOES GODFREY DANIELS HOST?
At Godfrey Daniels, we host a wide range of events. Our main focus is on live music performances by some of the finest musicians in folk, blues, bluegrass, Cajun, Celtic, country, and other genres. Additionally, we showcase storytelling, poetry readings, children’s theater, comedy, and open mic shows, creating a diverse and vibrant cultural experience for our audience.
• WHO HAS PLAYED AT GODFREY DANIELS THAT I WOULD KNOW?
Over the past four decades, Godfrey Daniels has had the pleasure of hosting numerous esteemed artists. Some of the notable names include Tom Paxton, Townes Van Zandt, members of The Roches, John Gorka, Rosalie Sorrels, David Bromberg, John Sebastian, Livingston Taylor, John Hartford, Eric Andersen, Tony Trischka, Norman and Nancy Blake, Red Clay Ramblers, Peter Rowan, Gamble Rogers, Nanci Griffith, Guy Clark, Peter Tork, James Cotton, Stan Rogers, Odetta, Chris Smither, and Bill Morrissey. We are honored to have had such talented performers grace our stage.